Pies place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon

5 posters

Go down

Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon Empty Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon

Post by Pielikey Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:08 pm

Now that the community is spurting out a small hiccup before it finally dies, I've decided to post a nice big series of mini-reviews of all the games I played during the summer. So, without further ado, let us begin. (Please note these are in no particular order)

Our Serious First competitor is Seriously Serious. In other words, its....
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (thanks, Turtle!)
Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon Sshd

+Serious Co-op Fast Paced Fun!
Coop, Hordespamming madness are a nice description of the game. Our group had a lot of fun with this game considering it's just a reboot of an arcade game. There wasn't anything too notable or anything to remember but it was a blast to play coop with.

-Seriously... Repetitive..?
Considering most of the levels are all just really really really big, open spaces, the game felt a little bit repetitive at times because it's all the same enemies. Oh, it had fun little asides, but other than that it's just enemy massacring after enemy massacring. That's the only major issue, though. Everything else was solid.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!
If you're looking for a weekend of fun, grab a few copies for you and some friends. Seriously.

Up next on the chopping block is a game which, when abbreviated, spells out LAG. You'll soon learn why...

Lead And Gold : Gangs of the West
(Thanks, Duo!)
Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon Lead-and-gold-1

+Creative Gamemodes and Intuitive Controls!

The controls flow very well for an Over-The-Shoulder game that takes place in the wild west. The gamemodes are very vastly varied, similar to Team Fortress 2. There's a Capture the Flag, Base attack/Defend, Territory Control, and a classic Deathmatch. Both of these combine to make a very fun playing experience that won't completely alienate noobs and will still challenge the leet proz.

-Ain't abbreivated LAG for nothing

The network coding feels like it was written by a third grader. Plain and simple. Servers are usually hit-or-miss for lag, with no middle ground of "occasional lag spikes". Security is also an issue, after I was mowed down by someone who managed to empty their entire magazine in under a second with each bullet going directly into my face, I started to question how safe ye olde Punkbuster was.

Bottom Line?
It makes for interesting gameplay but just make sure you don't play on public matches too often for you and your keyboard's sake.

Next is something Valve "made". It was once a mod but now it isn't, here it is...
Alien Swarm
Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon Alien-swarm2--article_image

+Replayability
The game has a large variation of unlocks and weapons which you can play through the game to unlock. From the dual machine guns to the minigun to the flamethrower to the grenade launcher, this game will keep you busy for at least a weekend or two.

-Only one Campaign.

The only campaign is the story one, and there seems to be a lot of modules that link to there being more. However, there aren't any more, there's just the one. There might be custom third-party campaigns as addons, but I couldn't be assed to look for them. I guess you get what you pay for.

Problem, Parasite:
It's free on Steam. So you might as well!

Next is another Free game released by the group you probably wouldn't of expected to release a game. Check out NASA's most recent free Steam-based Simulator....

Moonbase Alpha

Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon 0707-moonbase-alpha-game-nasa_full_600

+The Greatest Worst Game Ever

The appeal of this game is still an absolute mystery to me! The puzzles are repetitive, the gameplay feels clunky, but it is less "Fun" to play and more "Hillarious". The game is a blast to play with a good group of friends. Even when you buckle down and get serious, you can still have fun, though.

-Where's all the stuff?

The game is solid, it just needs more stuff! More maps, maybe some variation in the repairing puzzles, (Perhaps some SDK or community tools?) and then it would be vastly improved.

Bottom Line?
Still Free! Plus there was talk of there possibly being a content update at some point.

Still with me? Good. Because Up next I have a game that allows you to simulate the Cold war all over again, from the comfort of your very own computer! Here it is...
DEFCON (Thanks, Sigfig!)
Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon Defcon_screen1
+Another game that you can play with your bros
It's an RTS-esque game that allows you to command missiles and blow up countries for lulz. It features a few gamemodes, and a whiteboard which allows you to plan attacks with everyone on your team. Or, you know, draw giant pictures of penises.

-Wait, you don't normally play RTSes? GET THE FUCK OUT

This was a very, very rough entry into the RTS Genre for me. Between this and Multiwinia, I'm starting to think RTS is very much not the Genre for me.

Bottom Line?
I dunno, lol. If you like RTSes and want something different with a whiteboard simulator, give it a shot. Otherwise don't even bother because you'll feel pretty alienated.

Of Coursssssssse, there is one game in particular that nobody here would allow me to forget. So without further Ado....
Minecraft (Thanks, Duo/Kh0rn3!)
Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon 500x_minecraft

+Truely Amazing.

The game is absurdly open-ended. You can do anything to the terrain. Cut down Trees. Destroy Mountains. create Mountains. Build your own personal doom fortress. Build your own private Island doom fortress. Build your own private island doom fortress with a moat. Yeah, you heard me, a castle with a moat on an island. Just be careful of the night, enemies spawn then.

-Multiplayer is very broken. (For Now)

This is the only flaw. Even then, the developer is working on it right now. So this probably won't be a problem in about a month or two. Possibly less.

Bottom Line:
Buy this game. In fact, it can't even be called a game anymore. It's just too great to be called that.

Hopefully if you're looking for a weekend or two to kill I've helped you narrow it down.

-This absurd wall of text was written by "Pielikey" Gordon

Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Power Level : 1
Level : 1337 Administrator

https://piesplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon Empty Re: Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon

Post by DShiznit Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Um. Fuck minecraft. That is all.
DShiznit
DShiznit

Power Level : 5
Level : 1 Minecraft Hater

Back to top Go down

Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon Empty Re: Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon

Post by Jesus Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Um. Fuck you. Minecraft is greater than great. That is all.
Jesus
Jesus

Level : 32 Religious Figure

Back to top Go down

Post by DShiznit Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm

No, really, fuck minecraft.
DShiznit
DShiznit

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Uh, like intercourse? That might be taking it a little too far.
Jesus
Jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:14 pm

minecraft is great
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DShiznit Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:07 pm

fuck minecraft
DShiznit
DShiznit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Do you mean you hate minecraft or you want to have sex with it because I'm absolutely confused
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Svenne Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Normally I'd say he hates it, but since it's DShiz it's probably the second one.
Svenne
Svenne

Power Level : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by DShiznit Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:11 pm

No, I meant I hate it. If I wanted to make sweet sweet love to blocks, It would have to be this kind:

Pielikey's Summer of Mods, Indies and El-Cheapos Marathon 7cc3e37708a66485794d57fc7e71dd7b

Of course that might hurt a bit with all those pointy edges...
DShiznit
DShiznit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:20 pm

You hate minecraft? But it's amazing!
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DShiznit Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 am

More specifically, I hate how popular it's becoming.
DShiznit
DShiznit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:12 pm

it's okay you don't have to pretend to be travis, just because more than two people know about something doesn't mean you have to hate it
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:07 pm

DShiznit wrote:More specifically, I hate how popular it's becoming.

I'm going to assume you don't have the game.
In which case, you motherfucking goddamn son of a bitch bed, buy this shit. I would have gladly payed $100 dollars for minecraft, but notch is a business moron and only charges $14 USD.
Sigfig
Sigfig

Level : 1 enemy

Back to top Go down

Post by DShiznit Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:18 am

I don't have money at all, and any money I get I'm saving to buy a good computer. Fuck minecraft. It's building with one-size blocks. It's written in the most godawful language on earth and it's use of resources is questionable at best. And yet everywhere I go, people eat that shit up. Fuck minecraft.
DShiznit
DShiznit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:21 pm

It eats resources because it has to generate a map that's eight times the surface area of the earth

And the survival mode (Which you have to pay a whopping, horribly insane $13) is a whole lot more than just building.
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:55 pm

DShiznit wrote:I don't have money at all, and any money I get I'm saving to buy a good computer. Fuck minecraft. It's building with one-size blocks. It's written in the most godawful language on earth and it's use of resources is questionable at best. And yet everywhere I go, people eat that shit up. Fuck minecraft.

this paragraph is very questionable
for one, why is java a bad language to use for a procedurally generated world with minimalistic graphics? the world generation would be much harder with a lower level language

and what makes you think it's just a building game?
Sigfig
Sigfig

Level : 1 enemy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:33 pm

DShiznit wrote:More specifically, I hate how popular it's becoming.
Fuckin' hipsters.
Jesus
Jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum