Pies place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job Empty sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job

Post by Sigfig Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:08 pm

i'm working freelance as a web designer in my local area and i got my first contracted work
it's some local church that basically has "lol we're a church" on their current website, and want a better design

i'll meet with them in a few days so i built this so i don't have to explain what a game engine is and how it fits inside of a magic internet explorer window
width="600" height="450"
codebase="http://webplayer.unity3d.com/download_webplayer/UnityWebPlayer.cab#version=2,0,0,0">

type="application/vnd.unity" pluginspage="http://www.unity3d.com/unity-web-player-2.x" />
Sigfig
Sigfig

Power Level : 1
Level : 1 enemy

Back to top Go down

sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job Empty Re: sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job

Post by Jesus Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 pm

WHY IS THERE A DOG IN THE CHURCH
Jesus
Jesus

Level : 32 Religious Figure

Back to top Go down

sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job Empty Re: sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job

Post by Sigfig Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:37 pm

i had to build a photogallery and the only actual photos i had on my hdd were of my dog
Sigfig
Sigfig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Lul wat
Jesus
Jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by le1ca Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 pm

hurr durr i am a better web designer than you etc

edit: i am going to kill you if you use that unity bullshit on a client site
le1ca
le1ca

Power Level : 11
Level : 50 level questioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

le1ca wrote:hurr durr i am a better web designer than you etc

edit: i am going to kill you if you use that unity bullshit on a client site

Let's look at a run down of why I use Unity over writing a 3d engine in a web language:

1. I don't have to work with web languages
2. I don't have to write my own 3d engine

you're just mad because it doesn't run on linux
Sigfig
Sigfig

Back to top Go down

Post by le1ca Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 pm

you do not need a 3d engine to make a website for a church
you do not use a game engine to make a website for a church
you use html, css, and maybe some javascript
but not a motherfucking game engine
game engines are for games

what are you doing in that <object> game engine youre not shockwave flash you arent supposed to be on web pages

edit: 99% of the people who are going to view the site will not have unity installed. 90% of those people aren't going to install it. 80% of those probably arent even able to install it due to pure computer illiteracy.

edit2: OR BECAUSE THEY RUN LINUX

edit3: THIRD PARTY OPINIONS
<@Leica> Twitch131, read this thread
<@Leica> https://piesplace.forumotion.com/electronics-computers-f6/sigfig-kind-of-sort-of-maybe-has-a-job-t27.htm
<@Leica> how mad are you
<@Twitch131> pretty mad so far
<@Twitch131> java or whateverthefuck not loading
<@Leica> its not even java
<@Twitch131> okay pretty mad now
<@Leica> its unity
<@Twitch131> this guy is making no sense
<@Twitch131> what the fuck is he even talking about
<@Twitch131> you're just mad because it doesn't run on linux
<@Twitch131> mad status: pissed
<@Leica> (it doesnt run on linux)
<@Twitch131> >you do not need a 3d engine to make a website for a church
<@Twitch131> >you do not use a game engine to make a website for a church
<@Twitch131> >you use html, css, and maybe some javascript
<@Twitch131> hahahahahaha
<@Twitch131> fucking told
<&KeFan> Leica: ''you're just mad because it doesn't run on linux'
<&KeFan> Where does he live so I can sniper him
<&Shadow> Wow that is depressing Leica
<&Shadow> He shouldn't be taking clients
<&KeFan> btw, Leica https://i.imgur.com/DDYuE.png == FAIL
<&Leica> yeah
<&Leica> thats unity engine
<&KeFan> You're right, I wouldn't want to waste my time to download that waste of my HDD space fucking stupid whatever it is
le1ca
le1ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:07 pm

le1ca wrote:you do not need a 3d engine to make a website for a church
you do not use a game engine to make a website for a church
you use html, css, and maybe some javascript
but not a motherfucking game engine
game engines are for games

i just don't /understaaand/ web design

I'm using a game engine because what I can offer with a web site running on Unity is much more impressive than anything I can offer with HTML, CSS, and maybe some javascript. I don't think you can argue with me that I'm not skillful at traditional web design.
And for what particular reason are 3d engines only useful for games?

edit: 99% of the people who are going to view the site will not have unity installed. 90% of those people aren't going to install it. 80% of those probably arent even able to install it due to pure computer illiteracy.

No, 100% of people who view the site will not have Unity installed. However, you underestimate how idiot-proofed installing the web player is. This is the download page. The installer requires you only to hit "next" and it installs by itself. I tested this on my computer illiterate parents and they were able to install the player on their computers by them selves on both windows xp and 7.

If you wish for me to conduct further testing on the ease-of-use of the installer I can have people from the audience I'm dealing with attempt to install it on whatever system's they're on, and I can have the contractor install it for himself and evaluate the process and how his user base would respond to it.

edit2: OR BECAUSE THEY RUN LINUX
We're talking about christians in rural Texas. No linux distro natively runs MS Word.

Also, if you want me to join that IRC and try to reason with your "third-party" I'm not doing anything right now.
Sigfig
Sigfig

Back to top Go down

Post by le1ca Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:46 pm

i would like to see how you can make a /web site/ with a 3d engine
maybe some kind of cool presentation thing as a small part but not a goddamn website
i want to punch you in the face over the internet
le1ca
le1ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 pm

met with the people at the church
they were impressed by my demonstration and want the website done through unity

just so you know i warned them about availability like you guys in the irc were talking about, and demonstrated the process it takes to install the plugin the first time you visit a site with it. they didn't seem to mind at all and i was kind of surprised.
Sigfig
Sigfig

Back to top Go down

Post by le1ca Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:43 pm

:||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
le1ca
le1ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Lul this is hilarious.
Jesus
Jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I have to take Travis' side because it seems fucking stupid that Sigfig has to integrate video games into EVERYTHING

A game engine is stupid because I can't see this loading on most computers. Why does Grandma have to install the halos just so that they can see what day sunday service is
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Level : 1337 Administrator

https://piesplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:03 pm

Pielikey wrote:I have to take Travis' side because it seems fucking stupid that Sigfig has to integrate video games into EVERYTHING

A game engine is stupid because I can't see this loading on most computers. Why does Grandma have to install the halos just so that they can see what day sunday service is

Actually, Unity supports hardware configurations even without graphics cards. The hardware isn't a problem, and the Unity installer itself is idiot-proofed to oblivion. Regardless, I warned the people at the church about all of this and they weren't concerned, and asked me to do the full site in Unity.
Sigfig
Sigfig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:22 pm

well firstly
sigfig kind of sort of maybe has a job Fuap06https://2img.net/h/oi25.tinypic.com/fuap06.png
-Duo's computer, which I did enable HTML on

Second, "Regardless, I warned the people at the church about all of this and they weren't concerned"

That's because they're not exactly computer smarts, and they were afraid of getting complex answers if they asked questions.
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by le1ca Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 pm

sig you're going to show them the site and then they will be like
this sucks dick you arent getting paid
the end
le1ca
le1ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 pm

i'm sure they'll make a sudden decision to switch all of their office computers to linux
Sigfig
Sigfig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:08 pm

le1ca wrote:sig you're going to show them the site and then they will be like
this sucks dick you arent getting paid
the end

they'll splash it with holy water because it's sinful to make a website with unity
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Pielikey wrote:well firstly
-snip- https://2img.net/h/oi25.tinypic.com/fuap06.png
-Duo's computer, which I did enable HTML on

Second, "Regardless, I warned the people at the church about all of this and they weren't concerned"

That's because they're not exactly computer smarts, and they were afraid of getting complex answers if they asked questions.
Pie, the html not working for Duo was because the plug in wasn't installed. What Sig did was if you try to go to the church site and you don't have unity plug in there is just a button to click and it installs it then the site works. Like magic.

Edit: I do so believe that's how it works if I read his posts correctly anyway.
Jesus
Jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:07 pm

thats too complex for grandma

I fucking hate teenagers why cant this website be like it was before when it just showed all the fucking important goddamn shit without these video games bullshit all over it
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:08 pm

I do believe Grandma can click a button and won't even know she is installing anything.
Jesus
Jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:09 pm

why the fuck does grandma have to install shit to see when the church opens this sucks
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm not saying it makes sense. I'm not saying it's a good idea. I'm just saying I'm pretty sure the old people aren't fucking aware of the shit they are doing and don't realize a game engine for a website is a stupid idea. So they aren't going to the like "this sucks." If they have a problem they'll be like "fucking computers" just like they would be if they had a problem with a regular html website. They don't know better.
Jesus
Jesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Really do you need a game engine for what's essentially like 4 goddamn lines of text?

CHURCH OPEN : 9 TO 5
CHURCH CLOSED : 5 TO 9
SUNDAY SERVICE : SUNDAY

HAPPY EASTER
GOD BLESS HTML
Pielikey
Pielikey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:19 pm

that's what they already had and they hired me to do a completely different kind of design
Sigfig
Sigfig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next